1. Working Title:
If we are not as creative as possible we will turn into robots
2. Aims and Objectives:
- to explore nature and technology in our society
- to visually look at the different relationships between nature and human created objects
- explore society in how it is becoming robotic in its thoughts
- to question our surroundings with abstract elements to gain deeper meaning
- question our feelings towards human suffering, rather than being robotic
- objective to be a society of creatives, which is definitely needed to create a place where we can all feel more human
3. Context (Including Historical, Contemporary and Theoretical Contexts):
- I will be researching perception: how the individual perceives an object or space to be physically. This would then relate to how we view ownership over spaces, and how we create boundaries or barriers. I will be looking into how the illusions of physical spaces or visual perception is viewed in painting. This has been explored within the 20th century with artists such as Brigit Riley and Doors of perception
- My practice will be very collective of everyday scenes or surrounding areas. This will then be captured through photographs / drawings / videos out in surrounding neighbourhood or where I can capture this within my everyday surroundings. This will then be altered by either painting or creating videos, to play around with association to spaces. This will relate to more of a contemporary context, with film and photography references. My research will relate to the mid 20th century to today.
4: Methodology:Unit 1 - Art practice - 26.06
Research paper - breakdown - 26.06
Adorno, T.W. and Bernstein, J.M., (2001) The culture industry: selected essays on mass culture. Routledge classics. London ; New York: Routledge.
Benjamin, A.E., (2004) Disclosing spaces: on painting. Manchester: Clinamen Press.
Beuys, Joseph, (1969)The Pack. [online] Tate. Available at: https://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-modern/exhibition/joseph-beuys-actions-vitrines-environments/joseph-beuys-actions-6[Accessed 24 Oct. 2018].
Beuys, J. The Shock of the New – Ep 8 – The Future That Was. (n.d.) WantedRobot Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td3BCNRElPA[Accessed 24 Oct. 2018].
Beuys. J. Utopia at the Stag Monuments.| Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac, London. (n.d.) Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCnge-uBR1w[Accessed 24 Oct. 2018].
Beuys, Joseph, (1972)‘We Are the Revolution’. [online] Tate. Available at: https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/beuys-we-are-the-revolution-p07595[Accessed 23 Oct. 2018].
Bourke, J. ed., (2017) War and art: a visual history of modern conflict. London: Reaktion Books.
Carr, N.G., (2010) The shallows: how the internet is changing the way we think, read and remember. London: Atlantic.
Crippa, E. and Lampert, C., (2016) London calling: Bacon, Freud, Kossoff, Andrews, Auerbach, and Kitaj. Los Angeles: J. Paul Getty Museum.
D’Avossa, A., Ossanna Cavadini, N. and Spazio Officina eds., (2013) Joseph Beuys: ogni uomo è un artista – manifesti, multipli e video ; every man is an artist – posters, multiples and videos ; [25 maggio – 15 luglio 2012, Spazio Officina, Chiasso]. Cinisello Balsamo (Milano): Silvana Editoriale.
Dunne, A. and Raby, F., (2013) Speculative everything: design, fiction, and social dreaming. Cambridge, Massachusetts ; London: The MIT Press.
Face To Face | Carl Gustav Jung (1959) HQ. (n.d.) KidMillions Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AMu-G51yTY[Accessed 22 Oct. 2018].
Forster, E.M., (2012)The machine stops: and other stories. London: Collectors Library.
Foundation, P., (2018) Anthem for Doomed Youth by Wilfred Owen. [text/html] Poetry Foundation. Available at: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/47393/anthem-for-doomed-youth[Accessed 22 Oct. 2018].
hoakley, (2017) Turner, painted propaganda, and the birth of Modern Europe. The Eclectic Light Company. Available at: https://eclecticlight.co/2017/09/19/turner-painted-propaganda-and-the-birth-of-modern-europe/[Accessed 22 Oct. 2018].
Hunt, Tom. Neal, Jane. Mortimer, Justin. (2012) Justin Mortimer. London: Haunch of Vension.
Huxley, A., (2008) And, Heaven and hell.London: Vintage : [distributor] TBS The Book Service Ltd.
Joseph Beuys | Utopia at the Stag Monuments | Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac, London. (n.d.) Galerie
Thaddaeus Ropac Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCnge-uBR1w[Accessed 22 Oct. 2018].
Joseph Beuys | Utopia at the Stag Monuments | Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac, London. (n.d.) Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCnge-uBR1w[Accessed 24 Oct. 2018].
Kiefer, A., (1969) Occupations. [online] Tate. Available at: https://www.tate.org.uk/research/publications/in-focus/heroic-symbols-anselm-kiefer/occupations-heroic-symbols[Accessed 24 Oct. 2018].
Kiefer, A., – The German painter and sculptor – New Documentary. (n.d.) Documentary Multi
Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGkyVUuRly8[Accessed 24 Oct. 2018].
Kiefer, A., (2017) White Cube – Artists – Anselm Kiefer. [online] Available at: https://whitecube.com/artists/artist/anselm_kiefer[Accessed 24 Oct. 2018].
Kiefer, A., (2018) Anselm Kiefer. [online] Available at: https://www.saatchigallery.com/aipe/anselm_kiefer.htm[Accessed 24 Oct. 2018].
López-Pedraza, R. and Kiefer, A., (1996) Anselm Kiefer: ‘after the catastrophe’. London: Thames and Hudson.
Meigh-Andrews, C., (2014) A history of video art. 2nd edition ed. New York: Bloomsbury.
Mesch, C., (2013) Art and politics: a small history of art for social change since 1945. London ; New York: I.B. Tauris.
Mortimer, Justin, (2011) Parafin | Artists | Justin Mortimer. [online] Available at: http://www.parafin.co.uk/artists–justin-mortimer.html[Accessed 24 Oct. 2018].
Saltzman, L. and Kiefer, A., (1999) Anselm Kiefer and art after Auschwitz. Cambridge studies in new art history and criticism. Cambridge ; New York: Cambridge University Press.
Soljenitsyne, A.I. and Parker, R., (2000) One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich. London: Penguin Books.
Stonard, John-Paul, (2017) Walhalla. London: White Cube.
The Art of Germany 3of3 In the Shadow of Hitler PDTV. (n.d.) Cong Grati Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IISEes_-45A[Accessed 22 Oct. 2018].
’The Frankfurt School’-In Our Time BBC Radio 4. (n.d.) Gaelic Neoreactionary Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rwqqA3nHiI[Accessed 22 Oct. 2018].
The Shock of the New – Ep 8 – The Future That Was. (n.d.) WantedRobot Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFc1BeS0vKI[Accessed 22 Oct. 2018].
Valli, M. and Dessanay, M., (2014) A brush with the real: figurative painting today. Elephant books. London: King.
Zurbrugg, N. and Burt, W., (2000) Critical vices: the myths of postmodern theory: essays. Critical voices in art, theory and culture. Amsterdam: G+B Arts.